Happy Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
I’m a huge fan of naturally gluten-free food. It’s usually healthier, usually cheaper, and IMHO, often tastier, too. That’s especially this this time of year, when we can start to get locally grown veggies and fruit. I’ve got a list of local NoVA/DC/MD Farmers’ markets here.
And yet…there are so many reasons packaged foods do absolutely come in handy from time to time, whether it’s because of job demands, travel, or you just need to have something shelf-stable and portable in the car in case of emergency.
I’ve put together a updated list of some of my favorite healthier options among packaged products, with an eye out towards ones that are lower in sugar, higher in fiber and protein, and on the less processed end of the spectrum. I’ve noted which are GF certified, Kosher certified or vegan, according to the manufacturer’s claims, and I always encourage you to double-check, because ingredients and processing protocols change.
- Altbars® (vegan, Kosher)
- Bumble Bars®(vegan, Kosher) Certified GF
- Clif Mojo Bars (only some Clif bars are gluten-free–grab carefully)
- Caveman Bars® Certified GF
- Epic bars®
- Go Macro Bars Certified GF, some are FODMAP friendly
- Health Warrior Chia Bars (Kosher) Certified GF
- Kind bars® (Kosher)
- Larabars®(vegan, Kosher) I’m particularly jazzed about the Larabar minis!
- Mama Chia Bars® (some are vegan, Kosher)
- No Opportunity Wasted bar® Certified GF
- NuGo bars®-(Kosher) Certified GF
- Ona bars Certified GF, SCD/GAPS friendly
- Perfect bars® (Kosher)
- Pure bars®(vegan, Kosher) Certified GF
- Raw Revolution Bars®(vegan, Kosher)
- Rise bars® (Kosher)
- Zingbars®–Certified GF (Kosher)
What do I consider a healthier gluten-free bar? In a nutshell, mostly ingredients your grandmother would recognize, enough protein and fiber to keep you fueled, and of course, gluten-free. These also avoid artificial sweeteners and soy protein isolate.
- Bhuja Snacks®–Certified GF
- Caveman Cookies®
- Chickpeatos–I’ve seen these in Whole Foods in Alexandria & I love them!
- Enjoy Life® (allergen friendly–none of the top 8 used)
- Funky Monkey Snacks (top 8 allergen-free facility)
- Hail Merry’s®–Certified GF
- Just Tomatoes® Fruits & Veggies
- Justin’s nut butters-–Certified GF (Vanilla almond is my personal fave!)
- Mary’s Gone Crackers® –Certified GF
- Nuts.com® (many options are certified GF, READ ALL INGREDIENTS! they do also sell products with wheat, produced in a different factory)
- The Good Bean Roasted Chickpeas–Certified GF
Quick meal options
- Amy’s has great bean soup options
- Pacific has many soups, including veggie soups
- Progresso has many options that are labeled gluten-free
- Gluten-Free Cafe
- Amy’s Organic® has frozen entrees, with vegan and vegetarian options
- Beetnick frozen foods–certified GF, lots of options
- Dr. Praeger-veggie burgers, veggie patties, fish sticks & more.
- Garden lites® soufflés and muffins, vegan and vegetarian options.
- Glutenfreeda® has a wide variety of options. Nutritionally speaking, the burritos are healthier than the ice cream sandwiches, of course
Veggie (vegetarian/vegan) Burgers:
- Dr. Praeger’s® certified GF! Gluten-free Kale Veggie, Super greeens, California Veggie Burgers (check the box—they also sell products with gluten but test gluten-free products for safety)
- Hilary’s Eat Well® certified GF! Gluten-Free Veggie Burgers
- Qrunch®burgers, certified GF! Vegan and allergen friendly
- Sunshine burger® Nutritionally, the most fiber and protein packed g-free veggie burger I’ve seen!
- CookSimple® has a variety of boxed meals (some gluten-free, some not)
- GoPicnic® has pre-packed meals that are shelf-stable. (some vegan options)
- St. Dafour® has tinned meals (some gluten-free, some not)
Cereals: (other great breakfast options here)
- Certified g-free oatmeal—many brands are tested gluten-free:Udi’s, Glutenfreeda, Cream Hill Estates, and more. Longer list of companies using the purity protocol here.
- Bob’s Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal®
- Crunchy Flax from Enjoy Life®
- Erewhon Buckwheat and Hemp Cereal®
- Kind Healthy Grain Clusters®
- Mesa Sunrise®
- Emma’s Organics has cereals
Ah, the task of finding a g-free bread with enough fiber. Try these:
- Dr. Schar Ciabatta Rolls®
- Julian Bakery (variety of lower carb, higher fiber options)
- Sandwich Petals®
- Udi’s Flax and Fiber ®
Companies that offer sample boxes