Cheryl is currently working via telehealth, and usually scheduling ~3-4 weeks out. *Due to scheduling constraints, Cheryl is currently only taking adult clients by provider referral* To be added to a waitlist, click here.
Q: Why am I still doing telehealth?
A: My office configuration does not allow a 6 feet gap between myself and clients, and I want to help minimize disease spread. Cases are still elevated in Virginia, and I want to keep everyone, myself included, safe.
I miss working directly with clients!
For the good of the many, I am currently only doing telehealth appointments until COVID 19 is managed.
I am licensed in DC and MD, and working with clients in VA, DC and MD. Most CIGNA and Aetna plans have coverage as they typically would; FSA and HSA reimburses, and most other plans cover (or don’t) as they typically would. As always, check with your plan.
Sessions are based on your needs & begin with a dietary assessment. Cheryl helps clients develop goals and create a concrete plan to achieve success based on taste, lifestyle and health needs.
Sessions are generally centered around a coaching, goal setting model. More info here.
We’ll examine your current habits and identify areas for change. Often this includes:
- Simple, easy suggestions for dietary changes, including quick and balanced ideas for meals and snacks, recipes, healthier brands, etc.
- Strategies for decreasing mindless eating.
- Exploring your relationship with food, mindfulness and emotional eating.
- Maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding chronic disease
- Strategies to make sure you’re getting enough movement, sleep and stress management.
- Supplements as necessary
Low FODMAP diet
Okay, your doctor handed you a list, but now what? We’ll look at
- Most accurate lists and guidance
- Ideas for meals, recipes
- Brands you can find locally
- How to read labels for FODMAPs
- Cookbooks, websites, etc.
- Reintroducing FODMAPs to identify the problematic components
- Making it work even if you’re vegetarian, vegan, Kosher, hate to cook, have allergies, etc.
For gluten-free and allergy clients:
- Basics of a gluten free/allergen free diet
- Dining out without gluten or other allergens
- Managing multiple food allergies and intolerances
- Easy, healthy and portable foods for snacks
- Eating well to prevent long-term issues
- Resources, such as books, websites and support groups
Phone sessions also available. Often it’s easier to work with someone in person, but if you don’t have a Celiac, low FODMAP, autoimmune or allergy expert nearby, it can be a good option.
*Limited evening and Sunday appointments available at the Fairfax location*
Please note: a cancellation fee is charged for all appointments canceled with less than 24 hours/1 Business day of notice.
- An initial session is $160
- Follow up sessions pricing depends on the length of session needed.
Cheryl is a provider for the following health plans:
- CIGNA PPO and some HMO plans*
- Aetna HMO, PPO, etc. Plans have coverage when considered “medically necessary” by a medical provider . Most digestive conditions (Celiac, IBS, IBD, GERD, gastroparesis, etc. are covered). You’ll need to make sure you’ve got a diagnosis code from your doctor. Note–a few plans, such a “Mail handlers” limit coverage to weight management.
- Medicare–coverage is limited to diabetes or renal disease per Medicare’s coverage terms
*Cigna HMO plans through ACA with names like “EPO connect” and “Connect” generally have nutrition limited coverage. Check with your plan for more information.
Please check with your specific plan to determine coverage for nutrition services. Most plans cover only “medically necessary” services as determined by your insurance provider and some require a referral. Also, please note that most insurance plans only cover in person visits and not telehealth.
Also, in-person expenses for Nutrition Counseling are eligible for reimbursement through a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or a Health Savings Account (HSA). Cheryl will provide you with the necessary paperwork for submission.
Tricare does not cover nutrition services. However, Cheryl will provide a 15% discount to immediate family members of active duty military who are not covered by other insurance in gratitude for your service to our country.
Some insurance companies cover nutrition counseling. If your insurance plan covers nutrition services, Cheryl will provide a form to submit to your insurance as an out of network provider. As a Registered Dietitian (RD) plans that include nutrition services may reimburse you.
Please contact your insurance plan for more details.