We’ve got a lot of basil growing wild right now, and I’m having a Ehlers-Danlos aka joint hypermobility flare. The brief EDS PSA–almost everyone with EDS has GI disorders, and 15% have Celiac and some have Crohn’s so there’s a lot of crossover with the usual crowd on my website. When my ligaments get lax, my prep time in the kitchen needs to get shortened. So this recipe involves only about 5 min prep time, which may be helpful for a range of busy people. Know anyone who falls in that category? 😉
Easy Cheesy Egg Bake
(low FODMAP, vegetarian, dairy-free option, SCD option)
- 6 eggs
- 1- 12 oz can roasted red peppers, sliced or chopped
- 1-2.25 can sliced black olives (or canned mushrooms)
- ½ cup fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 TBSP scallion greens, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella or Jack cheese, dairy-free if needed
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8X8 glass pan. Open the can of peppers and black olives and drain in a strainer while prepping the other parts. Whisk the eggs for a minute, stir in the basil, scallions, cheese, drained veggies, spices. Pour into greased pan. Bake at 350 for 40 min or until done.
Low FODMAP note: Cento peppers roasted red peppers are easy to find–they are at Wegman’s or Whole Foods. Or, of course, you can always use fresh or frozen peppers.
SCD legal variation, choose an SCD legal cheese and check cans for starches.