Tuesday, April 5th, 2011
Usually I write on one topic in particular, but there has been so much buzzing about the gluten-free/Celiac world that I wanted to share the highlights!
- 1 in 133 is a new project designed to highlight the lack of action on the part of the FDA in putting out a ruling on the definition of “gluten-free”, as promised by August 2008, and obviously long overdue. If you’re local, consider coming out for the fun on May 4th (added incentive–world’s largest GF cake!). Also, whether you’re near or far, sign the petition and/or consider donating to the cause.
- Dr. Fasano from the Center for Celiac Research and other researchers showed in the British Medical Journal that gluten intolerance is a true disease AND that it is biologically distinct from Celiac. He estimated that 6% of the population is gluten intolerant. The Wall Street Journal did an excellent article on gluten intolerance as well.
- New research came out showing that Celiac is 5-10 times more common in people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and a whopping 32% of 1st degree relatives of people with MS had positive blood work for Celiac. Cross testing is important!
- 1st Annual Celiac Run/Walk in Arlington VA May 1st. Proceeds support the Center for Celiac Research in Baltimore.
- A little of my gluten-free journey was featured in a Washingtonian blog article on Celiac disease and a gluten-free diet. I am hopeful that if there is a good response, they will focus on Celiac issues more often.
- Planning for Passover or just like the increased selection of gluten-free foods? I’ve got a great explanation and also recipes here. And if you do celebrate Passover, Yehuda brand has gluten-free matza just $6 a box at some local stores.
- LOTS of fantastic new gluten-free books have hit the shelves! My favorites include
- Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free by Amy Green
- Simply…Gluten-free Desserts by Carol Kicinski
- Good Morning Breakfasts without Gluten, Sugar, Eggs or Dairy (vegan) e-book by Ricki Heller
- Gluten-Free Cupcakes by Elana Amsterdam (out April 26th)
- Shelley Case and Carol Fenster have a free, online bean (pulse) cookbook with a variety of gluten free bean and lentil recipes through Pulse Canada
- The Celiac Disease Video Project will be released in next month or 2 months. It will be videos on medical diagnosis, follow up, all about a gluten-free diet and label reading, with a short segment on gluten sensitivity. I’m very excited to share this valuable resource, and am very appreciative of the Celiac Sprue Association for their support!
- Whole Foods has coupons on gluten-free bread and other gluten-free staples.
- If you love the latest news on Celiac, gluten intolerance, good nutrition and other health issues, I’ve joined the wild world of Twitter. Follow me @cherylharrisrd
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please see www.harriswholehealth.com