It’s still just barely still Celiac awareness month. So…may I recommend (request?) you do something to support the gluten-free community?
The FDA has issued draft guidance indicating that they will only consider labeling for food allergens. This is problematic on oh so many fronts. Obviously, foods foods can cause health problems via means other than allergy, and that’s well-documented. And, as many of you know, the FDA does a pretty poor job enforcing the (voluntary) labeling for gluten as is, so closing the door to changes preemptively is…well…a huge step backward for the gluten-free community at large.
This is where you all come in. Please submit your comments to the FDA. Tricia Thompson has sample comments or you can do what I did and start with her comments and add your own flavor with your own story and concerns. But PLEASE add your voice.
- What are the best gluten free flours from Saveur mag? Did yours make the cut?
- New article from Columbia U on potential meds for Celiac that may be on the horizon to compliment the gluten-free diet.
- May is also Ehlers-Danlos awareness month. Are you aware of the connection with Celiac disease?
- Yay! Finally Farmers market season…
- Nice overview of the link between IBD (Crohn’s and UC) and PTSD that can be caused, sometimes by treatment.
- Really interesting…new study in BMJ shows that people with IBS have different microbiome “signatures”. People with a more pathogenic microbiome actually do better on a low FODMAP diet, and it improves their gut microbiome.
Cheryl Harris, MPH, RD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Certified Wellcoach in Fairfax, VA. She helps people with a range of dietary issues, including Celiac Disease, digestive issues, preventing diseases and “whole foods” eating. Let’s get you on your way to achieving your goals and feeling great! Email or call 571-271-8742.