Leslie was kind enough to let me share this great recipe. Not only is it yummy, but teff is a fabulous source of calcium and a whole grain. This recipe is from her book “Going Wild in the Kitchen”. Many (not all) of Leslie’s recipes are GF and dairy free and fabulous for people who like exploring exotic (and delicious) tastes. You can find more information on the book and Leslie at www.lesliecerier.com
Honey Ginger Cookies
Honey and teff, which have been partnered together since ancient times, have starring roles in these gingery treats.
Yield: About 3 dozen
3 cups teff flour
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet and set aside.
2. Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. (If the grated ginger is too fibrous, gather it in your hands, squeeze the juice into bowl, and discard the fibers.) Stir to form a moist dough.
3. Knead the dough for a minute, then shape into walnut-sized balls. Place on the cookie sheet about 3/4-inch apart. Flatten gently with a fork.
4. Bake 15 minutes, or until they lose their shine. Remove from the oven.
5. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Leslie Cerier is a gourmet organic caterer, personal chef, cooking instructor, nutritional expert, advocate for sustainable agriculture, and award-winning photographer. She is the author of Going Wild in the Kitchen, The Quick and Easy Organic Gourmet and coauthor of Sea Vegetable Celebrations. A pioneer and national authority on wheat-free baking, cooking with wild foods and whole grains, Ms. Cerier has developed recipes for organic food companies and individuals, and published dozens of articles on vegetarian cooking, nutrition, and organic lifestyle. She resides in western Massachusetts. You can visit her website at www.lesliecerier.com.
Recipes Excerpted from Going Wild in the Kitchen by Leslie Cerier © 2005 Used by permission of Square One Publishers, Inc.