Healthy (or healthier) GF Recipe Contest ’08
We had 52 wonderful healthy (or healthier adaptations of) recipes and the winners are announced below! Thanks to everyone who submitted and rated recipes for making this a fun experience. You may still rate recipes and leave comments if you wish so others can learn from your experimentation.
Click below on the categories to see all of the submissions
WINNER:GFCFEFSF Whipped Cream(GF, DF, EF, SF) By Christel King
WINNER: Applesauce Teff Cake (GF, DF, EF, SF, nuts optional) By Robin Reed
Healthy (or healthier) Recipe Guidelines
There are different guidelines for what counts as healthy, and some disagreement among experts. But there is a lot of agreement, too, and so for the contest, we’ll define a healthy recipe as:
- Featuring whole fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts
- Containing mostly whole grain flours (Amaranth, brown rice, millet, quinoa, sorghum, teff, wild rice) and limiting tapioca starch, potato starch, cornstarch, etc.
- Avoiding trans and animal fats (butter, cream, etc)
- Containing limited or no sugar
- When possible, adding in great sources of fiber, like flax seeds, bran, mesquite, Montina, etc.
Harris Whole Health offers individual sessions, family sessions and group classes to help people eat healthier and feel better! Whether you are dealing with Celiac Disease, food allergies, picky eaters, children on the Autistic spectrum, chronic illness, or if you just want to feel and look better, Cheryl can help you achieve your goals. For an appointment with Cheryl Harris, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist, please click here or call 571-271-8742.