Happy Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
I’m a huge fan of naturally gluten-free food. It’s usually healthier, usually cheaper, and IMHO, often tastier, too. That’s especially this this time of year, when we can start to get locally grown veggies and fruit. I’ve got a list of local NoVA/DC/MD Farmers’ markets here.
And yet…there are so many reasons packaged foods do absolutely come in handy from time to time, whether it’s because of job demands, travel, or you just need to have something shelf-stable and portable in the car in case of emergency.
I’ve put together a updated list of some of my favorite healthier options among packaged products, with an eye out towards ones that are lower in sugar, higher in fiber and protein, and on the less processed end of the spectrum. I’ve noted which are GF certified, Kosher certified or vegan, according to the manufacturer’s claims, and I always encourage you to double-check, because ingredients and processing protocols change.
Last updated April 2019.
- Bumble Bars®(vegan, Kosher) Certified GF
- Clif Mojo Bars (only some Clif bars are gluten-free–grab carefully)
- Caveman Bars® Certified GF
- Epic bars® Certified GF
- Go Macro Bars Certified GF, some are FODMAP friendly
- Health Warrior Chia Bars (Certified Kosher) Certified GF
- Kind bars® (certified Kosher)
- Larabars®(vegan, Kosher) I’m particularly jazzed about the Larabar minis!
- NuGo bars®-(Kosher) Certified GF, some allergen friendly
- Ona bars Certified GF, SCD/GAPS friendly
- Perfect bars® (Kosher)
- Pure bars®(vegan, Kosher) Certified GF
- Raw Revolution Bars®(vegan, Kosher)
- Rx Bars Kosher
- Rise bars® (Kosher), some are vegan
- Zingbars®-–Certified GF, vegan, Kosher
What do I consider a healthier gluten-free bar? In a nutshell, mostly ingredients your grandmother would recognize, enough protein and fiber to keep you fueled, and of course, gluten-free. These bars also avoid artificial sweeteners and soy protein isolate.
- Bhuja Snacks®–Certified GF
- Chickpeatos— (certified Kosher) I’ve seen these in Whole Foods in Alexandria & I love the rosemary ones!
- Enjoy Life® (allergen friendly–none of the top 8 used) Kosher
- Funky Monkey Snacks (top 8 allergen-free facility)
- Hail Merry’s®-Certified GF, Kosher
- Just Tomatoes® Fruits & Veggies
- Justin’s nut butters-–Certified GF, Kosher (Vanilla almond is my personal fave!)
- Mary’s Gone Crackers® –Certified GF, Kosher
- Nuts.com® (many options are certified GF, READ ALL INGREDIENTS! they do also sell products with wheat, produced in a different factory)
- The Good Bean Roasted Chickpeas–Certified GF
Quick meal options
Soups & !
- Amy’s has great bean soup options. Some have pull top lids
- Pacific has many soups, including veggie soups
- Progresso has many options that are labeled gluten-free
- Gluten-Free Cafe
Frozen: In the NoVA area, you can generally find these at MOM’s, Wegman’s, Whole Foods and Earth Fare
- Amy’s Organic® Kosher has frozen entrees, with vegan and vegetarian options
- Beetnick frozen foods–certified GF, lots of options
- Dr. Praeger-veggie burgers, veggie patties, fish sticks & more.
- Garden lites® Kosher soufflés and muffins, vegan and vegetarian options.
- Glutenfreeda® has a wide variety of options. Nutritionally speaking, the burritos are healthier than the ice cream sandwiches, of course
- Quinoa cups–World Gourmet has some fun flavors that are vegan
- CookSimple® has a variety of boxed meals (some gluten-free, some not)
- GoPicnic® has pre-packed meals that are shelf-stable. (some vegan options)
- St. Dafour® has tinned meals (some gluten-free, some not)
Cereals: (other great breakfast options here)
- Purity protocol oats: GF Harvest, Glutenfreeda,
- Certified GF oats: Love grown, Bakery on Main
- Bob’s Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal®
- Erewhon Corn flakes®(Certified GF)
- Love Grown Cereals (Certified GF)
- Kind Healthy Grain Clusters®
- Mesa Sunrise® (Certified GF)
Ah, the task of finding a g-free bread with enough fiber. Try these: