Here’s a list of information from many major brands of turkey. This list was last updated on NOV 17th 2010. Please let me know if there are any broken links!
General turkey tips:
- Fresh, plain turkeys that are not stuffed are naturally gluten free
- All regular stuffed turkeys contain gluten, even if you don’t eat the stuffing.
- Avoid the gravy packets, or check the packets very carefully.
Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods have gluten-free gravies.
Shipped Kosher turkey, goose, duck, etc. WITH GF stuffings (buckwheat, quinoa or rice). Pricey, but wow!
Here’s their product list. Checked Nov 2010
From the Butterball website Nov 2010:
- Butterball product labels let consumers know whether any of the top eight allergens may be present in the product. For example, a label may read “contains wheat and dairy.” Specifically, gluten is not present naturally in turkey. It may be present in our gravy packets, additional rubs or flavors, and in our stuffed products.
(Cheryl’s note: gluten is NOT an allergen, nor one of the top 8 allergens *sigh*. However, staff have confirmed that the turkeys are, indeed, gluten free. )
This just in! Some Butterball gravy packet are GF–As always, read carefully.
Butcher’s Cut (Safeway Brand)
Shank cut ham is GF. Spiral Sliced Ham is GF (glaze packet is not gluten free) (per Safeway Gluten Free product listing, received October 2008, dated March 08)
“To my knowledge the only item that I sell that has gluten are the crackers that are in the picnic basket. Other then that all other items are gluten free.” via email, October 2007
Empire Kosher Poultry
Listing of all GF Products (accessed Nov 2010)
Esskay and Mash Hams
“The only products that have gluten are our Bar BQ loaf and Peppered Corned Beef in the deli. All our other products are gluten free.” Via email, November 2007.
Per and email from HBH, “The Hams and Turkeys are all Gluten Free”. Here is info on their other products.
- Do your hams or turkey breast contain glutens?
“We have reformulated our glaze to be considered free of allergens. This means our hams and turkey breasts DO NOT contain glutens.” (Cheryl’s note: gluten is NOT an allergen *sigh* but their products are gluten-free according to their staff) (updated Nov 5 2010)
Honeysuckle White Turkeys are GF, but some of their other products have gluten. A list of products that DO have gluten here. All other products are GF, according to the manufacturer. (updated Nov 5 2010)
List includes turkey products and ham, too. (updated Nov 5,2010)
Listing of all GF products (accessed Nov 09)
Manor House (Safeway brand)
Confirmed via email Safeway Nov 2010.
“Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry on our Turkeys. Yes, our Turkeys are gluten free.”
Listing of all GF products. (accessed Nov 5, 2010)
Here is a list of GF products. Breaded products are not GF (updated Nov 5 2010)
“All of our turkeys products are gluten free except our gravy, cranberry relish, and dressing ” Confirmed via email Nov 2009
New listing of products that are NOT GF (all others are GF) (updated Nov 5, 2010)
All Tofurky products contain gluten (updated Nov 5 2010)
Info on gluten and many other allergens for turkeys, hams and other products, too. Includes an in-depth description of the term gluten-free as they use it.(updated Nov 5 2010)
* Disclaimer: This information is based on websites, email and telephone correspondence and is intended for informational purposes only and not as medical advice. Harris Whole Health is not responsible for any changes in ingredient lists, and always recommends double checking all labels.*
Harris Whole Health offers individual sessions, family sessions and classes in Alexandria, VA to help people eat healthier and feel better! Whether you are dealing with Celiac Disease, food allergies, picky eaters, chronic illness, or if you just want to improve your diet, Cheryl can help you achieve your goals. For an appointment with Cheryl Harris, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist, click here or call 571-271-8742.